Sunday, September 18, 2011

Whispers of Fall.

Recently, I woke up early.  My window fan was drawing in the cold morning air.  I heard the faintest sound of raindrops tapping against my window. 
The clouds were hanging low, and the air smelled like damp leaves.

It was as if Fall were whispering a secret to the world, that it was almost here.

I just lay there, breathing in the heavenly scent of earth, and coolness.  The signal that the book of seasons were about to turn the page.

A list of things I love about Fall:

1.  Damp mornings, and cool days.  The sky brilliantly blue, set off by high white clouds, touched with gray.

2.  Pumpkins, gourds, squash, oh my.  I stopped at my favorite little grocery store (Trader Joe's, gotta love them!) and they had bins of pumpkins.  My heart skipped a beat at the sight of orange, and fall flowers in buckets, and piles of winter squash for sale.

3.  Snuggling beneath my beloved down comforter, as the nighttime cools, leaving behind only the smallest remnant of the heat of summer.

4.  The decorations.  Fall leaves.  Pumpkin scented candles.  Scarecrows.  My Silhouette's from my sweet, talented friend Kris at Shadows and Illuminations.

5.  My Spookytown collection.  I've collected pieces for a number of years, and love to put them on display. 

6.  Sweaters and boots.  Our fall weather is rather mild in San Diego, but some days are certainly worthy of a true fall wardrobe.

7.  The way tall trees look, silhouetted against a full moon, on a chilly night.  It makes me think of Halloween, and trick-or-treaters in darling costumes, and apple bobbing, and caramels, and parties.

8.  My second year participating in the annual 'Thrill the World' event.  I will be dressing as a 'Captain E-O' zombie this year.

9.  Orange leaves.  Red leaves.  Yellow leaves.

10.  Drinking apple cider and indulging in a slice of pie, and wandering the quaint main street of Julian.


Oh, Fall, how wonderful you are. 
I am so glad you are nearly here.



No comments: