Sunday, October 16, 2011

A Halloween List.

Recently, the weather had been cold, blustery, and raining.  The clouds were gray, and the leaves have been falling. 

It truly felt like Autumn. 

Bliss.

Naturally, the weather got me in the Halloween spirit.  So, I thought I'd give you a quick overview of some of my favorite, must-see, annual Halloween tv shows/movies.

1.  Hocus Pocus

I love, love, love this movie.  It is so funny.  The resurrected 'Sanderson Sisters' run a muck ('A muck, a muck, a muck, a muck!') in a small New England town.  I love the footage of the town, with the fall foliage, and old fashioned houses, and Halloween decorations.  Granted, it was probably filmed on a set somewhere, but still.  The imagery of fall makes me happy.  This movie is my absolute must-see.
Best line/dialogue: (this movie is full of great one-liners and silly jokes!  I'll stick with a short one!)
Mary Sanderson:  (gets a Clark bar, and takes a bite) Its the chocolate covered finger of a man named Clark!

2.  Garfield's Halloween Adventure

Oh, Garfield.  I thought he was so cute and silly.  In his Halloween Adventure, Garfield, and sidekick Odie, go trick-or-treating, and wind up in a creepy house by a lake.  Inside, they meet an old man, who tells them that the ghosts of pirates were coming that Halloween night to claim their buried treasure.  I'm not going to lie, those ghosts gave me the willies as a child.  But, in good Garfield fashion, all's well that ends well. 
Best line/dialogue:  (Garfield shows Jon his pirate costume, complete with peg leg.  Odie runs in, also dressed as a pirate, with 4 peg legs.)
Garfield to Odie (in pirate voice):  "This be me first mate, Odie the stupid...you be having a might too many peg legs there, matey..."

3.  Roseanne, The Halloween Collection

Regardless of the general feelings one may hold about Roseanne, as a show, actress, or person, it is hard to argue with the fact that her show did some of the greatest Halloween episodes.  Of any show.  Period.  A close second would be The Simpson's annual Treehouse of Horror shows.  They were ingenious, with spectacular costumes, and often silly plots.  My favorite episode in particular is a spin on A Christmas Carol, when Roseanne is visited by the ghosts of Halloween past, present, and future.
Best line/dialogue: (From the first Halloween episode, "Boo")
(Teenager, Becky, has just learned that she was not invited to a Halloween party, hosted by one of her classmates).
Becky:  I hate Halloween.
Roseanne:  Oh, you don't even know what Halloween is.
Becky:  (sarcastically)  Okay, then, why don't you not tell me.
Roseanne:  Okay, I won't...Halloween is the one night of the entire year when the veil is lifted between the living and the dead.  And the dead return from hell to walk the earth and we have to dress up like ghosts and goblins and stuff to fake out the evil spirits, or else they might carry us back to hell with them.
Becky:  So...why do the dead people come back?
Roseanne:  For the candy!  There's no chocolate in hell!  That's why it's hell.

4.  Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Season 4, Episode 4:  Fear Itself

I just loved this series, and watched every new episode.  In fact, I recieved the complete series collection on DVD as a birthday gift a few years ago.  This particular episode was one of the few Halloween shows Buffy featured.  The 'Scoobies' (aka Buffy and friends) attend a Halloween party, only to discover that a demon of fear has taken over the house, causing everyone's worst fears to become reality.  It was a funny, clever episode that I still enjoy watching.
Best line/dialogue:  *Spoiler* (At the end of the show, Buffy and her friends are gorging on candy, celebrating their defeat of the fear demon).
Buffy:  There's no problem that cannot be solved by chocolate.
Willow:  (weakly)  I think I'm gonna barf.
Buffy:  Except that.

5.  It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown

Who doesn't remember this?!  I was always excited to see it when it aired near Halloween.  Darling little Charlie Brown.  Poor kid.  Even trick-or-treating was a bust for him.  A classic cartoon. 
Best line/dialogue:  (Children looking in their trick-or-treat bags, comparing goodies).
"I got 5 pieces of candy."
"I got a chocolate bar."
"I got a quarter."
Charlie:  "I got a rock."

Well, folks.  Thanks for sticking around to read my Halloween list! 
Do you have any favorites that aren't listed here? 
Please share!



No comments: